List spam

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Thu Aug 18 11:51:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:37:37 +0800
Ghodmode <ghodmode at ghodmode.com> wrote:
> Make an effort to curb the spam even if it means killing the newsgroup
> availability.  Choose mailman or Google Groups, or another single
> solution.  Make it members only, but allow anyone to register with an
> automated confirmation email and a CAPTCHA.  Appoint a list admin who
> has a few minutes each day to scan subjects of emails for spammers and
> remove them from the members list.

I'm not sure it would scale but I have a few lists that I protect by
doing a few simple things.  First, I make the list so that only members
can post.  I then set the list so that everyone is moderated by
default.  When someone posts a legitimate message I simply pass it and
then unmoderate that user.

It's not as onerous as it sounds.  Very few people actually post and
you only have to deal with those that do once.  Mailman makes it pretty
simple to manage too.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves