List spam

Ghodmode ghodmode at ghodmode.com
Thu Aug 18 13:29:12 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> 4. gmane (various formats)
>   http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general
>   a.  gmane.comp.python.general (non-Usenet group via NNTP)

> All of the above allow both reading and posting.  gmane does spam
> filtering so, if you read and post through it, you will avoid most of
> the spam (a little bit gets through).  The gmane nntp server (which is
> for gmane groups only, not regular Usenet groups) is free to use.

Unfortunately, Gmane's version of this newsgroup
(gmane.comp.python.general) has all of the offensive spam.  I'm kinda
surprised considering the detailed information that they put on their
site about spam filtering.

These are the ones I got to work:
  - textnews.news.cambrium.nl
  - mail.tsu.ru

... They're light on the spam, but they're read-only.

Ironically, the Google Groups version
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.python) has almost
none of the spam, although I did see one message that said "This topic
has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse".  I can't join that
Google Group, though.  I guess that's because it's just a viewer for
the newsgroup.

--
Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog