Replacement for the shelve module?

Forafo San ppv.grps at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:31:06 EDT 2011

Folks,
What might be a good replacement for the shelve module, but one that
can handle a few gigs of data. I'm doing some calculations on daily
stock prices and the result is a nested list like:

[[date_1, floating result 1],
 [date_2, floating result 2],
 [date_n, floating result n]]

However, there are about 5,000 lists like that, one for each stock
symbol. Using the shelve module I could easily save them to a file
( myshelvefile['symbol_1') = symbol_1_list) and likewise retrieve the
data. But shelve is deprecated AND when a lot of data is written
shelve was acting weird (refusing to write, filesizes reported with an
"ls" did not make sense, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.