Arrange files according to a text file

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sat Aug 27 14:06:22 EDT 2011

On 8/27/2011 10:03 AM Ric at rdo.python.org said...
> Hello,
>
> What would be the best way to accomplish this task?

I'd do something like:

usernames = """Adler, Jack
Smith, John
Smith, Sally
Stone, Mark""".split('\n')

filenames = """Smith, John - 02-15-75 - business files.doc
Random Data - Adler Jack - expenses.xls
More Data Mark Stone files list.doc""".split('\n')

from difflib import SequenceMatcher as SM

def ignore(x):
     return x in ' ,.'

for filename in filenames:
     ratios = [SM(ignore,filename,username).ratio() for username in
usernames]
     best = max(ratios)
     owner = usernames[ratios.index(best)]
     print filename,":",owner