Help needed with using SWIG wrapped code in Python

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Aug 15 06:08:02 EDT 2011

Vipul Raheja, 15.08.2011 10:08:
> I have wrapped a library from C++ to Python using SWIG. But I am facing
> problems while importing and using it in Python.
>
> $ python
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in<module>
>    File "pyossimtest.py", line 84, in initialize
>      def initialize(self, *args): return _pyossimtest.Info_initialize(self,
> *args)
> TypeError: in method 'Info_initialize', argument 3 of type 'char *[]'
>
> What does this error message imply? I have already handled char** as a
> special case in swig using typemaps.

I have little experience with SWIG, so I can't comment much on the problem
at hand, but what I can do is to encourage you to use Cython instead. It's
faster, easier to use and much more versatile for writing Python wrappers
than SWIG. Basically, it provides you with the full power and flexibility
of a programming language, whereas SWIG (like all automatic wrapper
generators) is always limiting because it has its predefined ways of
wrapping things, and if they don't fit, you're on your own fighting up-hill
against it.

Stefan