Installing WebDAV server

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Tue Aug 30 16:31:11 EDT 2011

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> I'm running a PC with XP Pro32, […]
> To do some research with some calender systems and to share the Outlook
> calendar I need a WebDAV server. After googling I found the Python WebDAV
> server.
> I installed Python 3.2.1 and extracted the packages PyWebDAV and PyXML.
> Now I have a working Python app and 2 directories called PyWebDAV-0.9.4.1
> and PyXML-0.8.4. In the PyWebDAV README it says:
>
> Installation and setup of server can be as easy as follows:
>
> $ easy_install PyWebDAV
> $ davserver -D /tmp -n -J
>
> But of course it doesn't work like that. When I start up Python GUI

That is really not a *G*raphical User Interface, but the (text-based) Python
shell.

> I see the ">>>" prompt instead of the "$" prompt.

  "Doctor, my arm hurts when I move it." – "Don't move it, then."

The Python shell executes Python code.  The above obviously is not Python
code, but *system* shell commands.  So let the *system* command shell
execute them (as indicated by the `$' prompt, which is customary for a
sh-based UNIX/Linux shell prompt).

Since you use Windows XP, type `cmd' to get the command shell (if you knew
MS-DOS, which I doubt, you are at home now).  However, you appear to have
found the *UNIX/Linux* README (and the corresponding version?) of that
server: the second command is usually how you would run a program as daemon
on Unices (run through an init script), while on Windows NT (like XP) you
would have a setup program install a service for you (maybe to execute that
command when the service is started).  Look for the Windows version.

> But where do I place the two directories?

You do not; let easy_install place them in the correct packages directory
(hence *easy* *install*).  That is very likely what the setup.py and
ez_setup.py scripts are for (spell "ez" in English).

> And there is no easy_install script in the PyXML-0.8.4
> directory, only a setup.py and ez_setup.py script. I guess the latter is
> the one to use. But how?

RTFM.

> How do I proceed next?

Look for the Windows version.  If there is none, get easy_install and use it
as described.

--
PointedEars

Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail. / Please do not Cc: me.