Multiprocessing bug, is my editor (SciTE) impeding my progress?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Dec 6 20:34:37 EST 2011

On 12/6/2011 7:30 PM, John Ladasky wrote:
> On Dec 6, 1:42 pm, Terry Reedy<tjre... at udel.edu>  wrote:
>> On 12/6/2011 2:13 PM, John Ladasky wrote:

>>> I need to
>>> accomplish this WITHOUT adding a try...except block to the Python
>>> library file multiprocessing/pool.py.
>>
>> I do not understand this statement. You should feel free to make a
>> backup copy of pool.py and then modify it for debugging.
>
> Right, so, the last time I tried this with a piece of library code, I
> ran into some major headaches with import statements.  I suppose I
> could have a look at Pool and see whether it can be extracted cleanly
> and made to run.

I have patched files both in /Lib and /Lib/idle on Windows with no
problems except that I had to switch to admin account to make the patch.
I probably changed 'copy of x.py' to either 'x.bak' or 'x.py.bak'
but I do not remember. Deleting .pyc might or might not help.

For a file in Lib, I have also copied to the working directory with my
script, which gets prepended to sys.path. This makes restoring the
default easier. One would have to copy all of multiprocessing/ for that
to work with m.../pool.py.

--
Terry Jan Reedy