Multiprocessing bug, is my editor (SciTE) impeding my progress?

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 02:15:46 EST 2011

On Dec 6, 7:30 pm, John Ladasky <lada... at my-deja.com> wrote:
> On Dec 6, 1:42 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> > It is even possible that multiprocessing.pool has a bug
> > that you ran into.
>
> Oh, please don't say that.  I'm no computer scientist, and
> Python has been scrutinized by so many professionals.  I
> couldn't have possibly found a language bug.

Scrutiny or no, Python has its fair share of bugs.  I think almost all
real-world implementations of almost all general-purpose programming
languages do.

<tangent>
Not long ago a friend of mine (a mathematician, but only a novice
programmer) sent me some code dealing with sets that exposed a bug in
Python 2.6.1.  He invoked the union() method from the set class rather
than a set instance, and it took us a long time to figure out why he
was getting different results than I was from the same code (I was the
one on 2.6.1, and my results were wrong).

Fortunately, it was (a) easy enough to work around and (b) fixed in
subsequent versions of Python.  But it just goes to show that even
unsophisticated programmers can stumble upon language bugs.  This one
wasn't even in the library; it was a built-in.
</tangent>

That hasn't shaken my confidence in Python, though.  (Also, for what
it's worth, I use SciTE as my Python editor as well.  I've also used
Geany from time to time, and I have no trouble recommending it.  It's
a step up the IDE ladder from SciTE, but is still tons lighter than
Eclipse and its brethren.)

John