Verbose and flexible args and kwargs syntax

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 13 06:28:23 EST 2011

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 02:46:13 -0800, Eelco wrote:

> With all this being said, I must say that the notion of indtroducing
> type constraints into Python is quite a radical one*,

Not that radical. Here's the creator of Python musing about adding
optional type checks to Python:

[...]
> *even though the asteriks syntax is infact a limited form of exactly
> that

It absolutely is not. def f(*args, **kwargs) constructs a tuple and a
dict, it does not type-check that the function is passed a tuple and a
dict as arguments. These are completely different things.

--
Steven