Fixing the XML batteries

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 16:02:18 EST 2011

On Dec 13, 1:21 pm, Stefan Behnel <stefan... at behnel.de> wrote:
> ru... at yahoo.com, 13.12.2011 20:37:
>
> > On Dec 13, 5:32 am, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> >> In Python 2.7/3.2, ElementTree has support for C14N serialisation, just
> >> pass the option method="c14n".
>
> > Where does one find information in the Python documentation about
> > this?
>
> Hmm, interesting. I though it had, but now when I click on the stdlib doc
> link to read the module source (hint, hint),

I realize the source is available (having had to use it way too
many time in the past, not just with ET), but that does not justify
omission from the docs.  However the point is moot since (as you
say) it seems the Python-distributed ET doesn't contain the c14n
feature.

> I can see that it only has the
> hooks. The C14N support module of ET 1.3 was not integrated into the
> stdlib. Sorry for not verifying this earlier.
>
> So you actually need the external package for C14N support. See here:
>
> http://effbot.org/zone/elementtree-13-intro.htm
>
> http://hg.effbot.org/et-2009-provolone/src/tip/elementtree/elementtre...
>
> Just to emphasize this once again: it's not more than a single module that
> you can copy into your own code as a fallback import, or deploy in your
> local installations.

Right, but many times I try to avoid external dependencies when
feasible.
Thanks for the clarifications.