How to install Python on Debian GNU/Linux (Python-2.7.2.tar.bz2)

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Wed Dec 14 13:40:28 EST 2011

Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> writes:

>> Mea culpa, forgot that. Yes, use altinstall. Although it's probably
>> not a problem to replace 2.6.6 with 2.7.2 - I doubt that'll break many
>> things.
>
> Except that all 3rd party extensions and packages are missing if you
> install Python manually.

True, they would have to be built or at least installed manually also.
Major work, especially for a beginner. Shouldn't pick Debian Stable and
then want current software...

Then again, even the standard install of Python has plenty of stuff. I
installed 2.7.2 on my Debian system just to try out some of the new Tk
stuff.

> Debian's backports should provide a well integrated Python 2.7
> package.

But it doesn't. Python 2.7.2 is in Wheezy, which is the current testing
version of Debian. Looks like it has about 700 release critical bugs, so
it'll be a while until release.