% is not an operator [was Re: Verbose and flexible args and kwargs syntax]

Eelco hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 05:25:59 EST 2011

On Dec 16, 6:30 am, alex23 <wuwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 3:01 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And I would be most sorry to see % renamed to mod in Python.
>
> > "Hello, %s! My favourite number is %d." mod ("Fred",42)   # This just
> > looks wrong.
>
> Finally we can give this operator a more fitting name - I propose
> 'inject' - and put an end to this insane desire to leverage off pre-
> existing knowledge of other languages.
>
> Furthermore, I suggest that no two languages should ever have
> identical semantics, just to avoid potential confusion.
>
> New concepts for all!

Dont get me started on that one. Its that I never work with strings...

'leverage of pre-existing knowledge'... I would hardly call the
particular names of functions the knowledge about a language.

The only argument that bears any weight with me is backwards
compatibility with itself. Pseudo-backwards compatibility with other
languages, I couldnt not care less for.