% is not an operator [was Re: Verbose and flexible args and kwargs syntax]

Eelco hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 19:00:23 EST 2011

On Dec 17, 12:49 am, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew... at canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:
> Eelco wrote:
> > the actual english usage of the phrase, which omits
> > the negation completely :). (I could care less)
>
> No, that's the American usage. The English usage is
> "I couldn't care less", which has the advantage of
> actually making sense.
>
> --
> Greg

Oh thanks for clearing that up, never noticed a division along these
lines.

And yes, I agree; 'I couldnt care less' makes much more sense. 'I
could care less' can only make sense if you interpret it
sarcastically, as if omitting an 'oh wait, I cant', but that does not
seem congruent with how its typically pronounced. Just another case of
suboptimal language design; but where can you submit EEP's?