Pythonification of the asterisk-based collection packing/unpacking syntax

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Dec 18 20:26:02 EST 2011

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:47:46 -0600, Evan Driscoll wrote:

[...]
> so unless you're opposed to using an editor more
> advanced than Notepad, you'll type in "varargs", it'll turn purple or
> whatever, and you'll go "oh that's a keyword."

Not everybody uses editors more advanced than Notepad. Even those who do
may not have an editor that understands Python keywords, or has an
obsolete list of keywords (my editor of choice doesn't know about
NotImplementedError). Or they're ssh'ed into a customer's server half-way
across the world and using `ed` because that's the only thing available.

The point is not that there can never been more keywords in Python, but
that the burden of proof is on those asking for new keywords. By default,
the status quo wins:

http://www.boredomandlaziness.org/2011/02/status-quo-wins-stalemate.html

--
Steven