PyCon US 2012 sprints

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Mon Dec 19 00:05:58 EST 2011

2011/12/17 Ricardo Bánffy <rbanffy at gmail.com>:
> Hi folks.
>
> Next March I'm planning to attend PyCon US (for the first time) and
> stay for the sprints. I am not sure how they work, however. Are there
> any "first-timer guide to PyCon sprints"?

I don't know of any such guide, but here's what usually happens:

1. Right after the closing of the conference days on Sunday, late in
the afternoon, there will be a chance for all projects who plan to
host sprints to get on stage and talk for a minute about who they are,
what their project is, and what they'll be sprinting on. You might
hear something like this: "Hi I'm Brian and I'll be hosting a sprint
on foo project. We're going to be working on x, y, and z functionality
using a lot of a, b, and c libraries. Come check it out of you're
interested. We've got plenty of stuff for first timers"
2. At the entrance to wherever the sprints will be there will be a
board listing what projects are sprinting in what areas. The last few
years we've taken over numerous rooms, so that board acted as a map to
know what was going on in what room.
3. I don't yet know how the sprints will be laid out this year since
it's a new hotel and location, but if its anything like last year,
each room will have several projects working inside it. It's quite
normal to just walk in and say "hey where's the blah blah sprint at?",
then see they're over in the corner. Everyone has been really friendly
in my experience, and a lot of people bounce back and forth between
rooms for a lot of reasons, so ask if you don't know where you're
going or who you're looking for.
4. Hack on some fun stuff and meet some new people.

It's a bit early for the 2012 sprint page to be up and populated, but
it'll happen soon enough. The 2011 page is here
(http://us.pycon.org/2011/sprints/) and the list of some (but not all)
of the sprints and their attendees here:
http://us.pycon.org/2011/sprints/projects/

It's really relaxed and a lot of fun. It's one of my favorite parts of
the PyCon experience.