Pythonification of the asterisk-based collection packing/unpacking syntax

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Dec 19 10:23:14 EST 2011

Evan Driscoll <edriscoll at wisc.edu> wrote:

>> I'm not an expert on Google's syntax, but if you search for "python,
>> optionally with function", isn't that the same as just searching for
>> "python" since it will return hits either with or without "function"?
> Chris Angelico's interpretation is correct: I did four searches, "python
> function star", "python function asterisk", "python star", and "python
> asterisk".

Using www.google.com:

"python function star": first hit is: http://farmdev.com/thoughts/24/what-
does-the-def-star-variable-or-def-asterisk-parameter-syntax-do-in-python-/

"python function asterisk": first hit is:
http://www.technovelty.org/code/python/asterisk.html

"python asterisk": the first hit I get is
http://www.technovelty.org/code/python/asterisk.html

"python star" is the only useless one of those giving me two hits for star
pathfinding algorithms, one about the BNF used in Python's documentation,
and a Daily Mail article about John Cleese and Eric Idle.