IPython 0.12 is out!

Wanderer wanderer at dialup4less.com
Mon Dec 19 13:07:21 EST 2011

On Dec 19, 12:12 pm, Wanderer <wande... at dialup4less.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 4:49 am, Fernando Perez <fperez.... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > on behalf of the IPython development team, I'm thrilled to announce, after
> > an intense 4 1/2 months of work, the official release of IPython 0.12.
>
> > This is a very important release for IPython, for several reasons. First
> > and foremost, we have a major new feature, our interactive web-based
> > notebook, that has been in our sights for a very long time.  We tried to
> > build one years ago (with WX) as a Google SoC project in 2005, had other
> > prototypes later on, but things never quite worked.  Finally the
> > refactoring effort started two years ago, the communications architecture
> > we built in 2010, and the advances of modern browsers, gave us all the
> > necessary pieces.
>
> > With this foundation in place, while part of the team worked on the 0.11
> > release, Brian Granger had already started quietly building the web
> > notebook, which we demoed in early-alpha mode at the SciPy 2011 conference
> > (http://www.archive.org/details/Wednesday-203-6-
> > IpythonANewArchitectureForInteractiveAndParallel).  By the EuroScipy
> > conference in August we had merged Brian's amazing effort into our master
> > branch, and after that multiple people (old and new) jumped in to make all
> > kinds of improvements, leaving us today with something that is an
> > excellent foundation.  It's still the first release of the notebook, and
> > as such we know it has a number of rough edges, but several of us have
> > been using it as a daily research tool for the last few months.  Do not
> > hesitate to file issues for any problems you encounter with it, and we
> > even have an 'open issue' for general discussion of ideas and features for
> > the notebook at:https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/977.
>
> > Furthermore, it is clear that our big refactoring work, combined with the
> > amazing facilities at Github, are paying off.  The 0.11 series was a major
> > amount of work, with 511 issues closed over almost two years. But that
> > pales in comparison to this cycle: in only 4 1/2 months we closed 515
> > issues, with 50% being Pull Requests. And very importantly, our list of
> > contributors includes many new faces (see the credits section in our
> > release notes for full details), which is the best thing that can happen
> > to an open source project.
>
> > We hope you will find the new features (the notebook isn't the only one!
> > see below) compelling, and that many more will not only use IPython but
> > will join the project; there's plenty to do and now there are tasks for
> > many different skill sets (web, javascript, gui work, low-level
> > networking, parallel machinery, console apps, etc).
>
> > *Downloads*
>
> > Download links and instructions are at:http://ipython.org/download.html
> > And IPython is also on PyPI:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython
>
> > Those contain a built version of the HTML docs; if you want pure source
> [...]

The windows installer didn't work but installing from the tar file
did. But installing from the tar file doesn't install Ipython in the
site-packages directory. It installs it wherever you untar the tar
file. I don't remember ever having to deal with this before. Most
things just install in the site-packages directory without me having
to do anything special.