Can't get tilde character with IDLE 3.2.2 on French Mac Lion

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Dec 19 14:19:02 EST 2011

In article <franck-6EFD3C.10155219122011 at news.free.fr>,
 Franck Ditter <franck at ditter.org> wrote:
> All is in the subject. I'm starting to use Python with Idle 3.2.2
> on MacOS-X Lion (French). I can't get "Option-N space" to provide
> the ~ char.
> I tried to go into the Keys preferences but I can't find "Option-N space"
> to modify its meaning. Its actual behavior is to merge lines of a
> paragraph.

You are likely running into a current problem in the OS X Cocoa version
of Tcl/Tk 8.5 as included with Lion and as shipped by ActiveState.
Previously, if you tried to type composite characters, like Option N,
the Cocoa Tcl/Tk would crash.  Pending a real fix, a patch was made to
Tcl/Tk 8.5 to discard composite characters rather than crash.  You
should be able to get a tilde by using the post-composite keyboard
sequence:  try typing "space" followed by "Shift-Option-N".

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2907388&group_id
=12997&atid=112997

--
 Ned Deily,