[OT] Quick intro to C++ for a Python and C user?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Dec 20 12:40:22 EST 2011

Would anybody care to recommend online C++ resources for a long time C
and Python user?  (I'm also familiar with Smalltalk, Scheme, FORTRAN,
bash, Javascript, and a variety of assembly languages.)

I have a C++ library to which I need to add a couple minor
wrappers/extensions. I've already done the same for the C version of
the library.  Writing test suites for C libraries using Python/ctypes
is pretty cool. :)

After googling a bit, I found several recommendations for the book
"Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel.  I've skimmed through it, and it's
_way_ too long-winded.  It takes him 200+ pages before he gets to data
encapsulation and 600+ pages before he introduces inheritence. The
writing is also a bit too condesending for my taste:

   You literally take the form of the existing class and add code to
   it, without modifying the existing class. This magical act is
   called _inheritance_, and most of the work is done by the compiler.

Magical act?

Seriously?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Are you the
                                  at               self-frying president?