Python education survey

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Dec 20 21:34:38 EST 2011

In article <mailman.3895.1324433216.27778.python-list at python.org>,
 Ashton Fagg <ashton at fagg.id.au> wrote:

> As long as the text editor has line numbers and syntax highlighting
> it's sufficient in my book.

I agree with the syntax highlighting.  I resisted for many years, then
somebody turned me on to it a few years ago and I've been addicted ever
since.

As for line numbers, for working alone, I don't see much point.  But for
any kind of interaction with other people, it's essential.  It's just SO
much easier to say, "line 417" as opposed to "OK, scroll up a couple
more lines, no, no, not that far, go down a little.  There!  See that
print statement, now go down three lines below that, ..."  By the time
the two of you are on the same page about which line of code you're
talking about, you will have forgotten what you wanted to say.