[OT] Quick intro to C++ for a Python and C user?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Dec 21 16:02:27 EST 2011

On 2011-12-21, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:

>> I've only worked on the perphery of a couple embedded projects that
>> used C++, but it seems to be farily common practice to prohibit the
>> use of templates in embedded code.  The problem seems to be that
>> people writing C++ code don't really understand the language, how
>> templates work, or (in general) the implications of the code they
>> write.  So, you have to prohibit anything that can be easily misused
>> or cause non-obvious problems.
>
> I cheerfully agree that programmers ignorant of C++ should not
> write programs in it. But furthermore, they should also not
> define a subset of C++ for use in embedded programming. ;)

I fully agree that programmers ignorant of C++ should not write
programs in it.  However C++ is a vast, complex, and dangerous
language -- and industry doesn't seem to be willing to limit itself to
using the seven people on the planet who understand it.

I'm only half joking...  :)

It seems to me that you need to know far more about C++ to use it
safely than you need to know about most other languages to use them
safely.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Hey, waiter!  I want
                                  at               a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL