Random string of digits?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Dec 25 23:17:11 EST 2011

In article <4ef7e337$0$29973$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> And I'm afraid that you have missed my point. The above comment from the
> source is from a docstring: it *is* public, official documentation. See
> help(random.Random).

When you wrote, "the source explicitly tells you..." the natural
assumption I made was "something in the source that's not part of the
documentation" (i.e. some comment).

> > The documentation is the specification of how something behaves.
> > If the documentation doesn't say it, you can't rely on it.

> A nice platitude, but not true. Documentation is often incomplete or even
> inaccurate.

Of course it is.  Those things constitute doc bugs which need to get
fixed.  The fact that the specification is flawed does not change the
fact that it *is* the specification.