Daemon management

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Mon Dec 26 20:43:56 EST 2011

Dear list,

Lately, I've had a personal itch to scratch, in that I run a couple of
Python programs as daemons, and sometimes want to inspect or alter them in
ad-hoc ways, or other times need to do things to them that are less
ad-hoc in nature, but nevertheless lack a natural user interface.

In order to solve that problem, I wrote a small library to allow the
daemon to simply listen to some socket and accept arbitrary, but easily
definable, commands. It also provides a "remote REPL" to allow me to run
arbitrary Python code interactively in the context of the daemon.

I was actually a bit surprised that I couldn't find any obvious
existing solution to the problem, so I'm writing this message in order
to share mine, just in case anyone else would happen to have the same
problem as I had and doesn't want to reinvent the wheel yet again:

<http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/pdm/>

Humbly,

Fredrik Tolf