Python education survey

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 20:56:33 EST 2011

On Dec 27, 3:44 pm, Eelco <hoogendoorn.ee... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Despite the fact that you mis-attributed that quote to me, im going to
> be a little bit offended in the name of its actual author anyway.
> Thats a lot of words to waste on your linguistic preferences.
> Personally, I reserve the right to botch my non-native languages as
> much as I please.

I hope you're just joking a bit because i have little respect for
those who refuse to better themselves. If you are learning English as
a second language then you have a legitimacy excuse, but at some point
that excuse just becomes a lie. In any case, i apologize for mis-
quoting you.

> > I always though "run" was a perfect verb for "running" code... but who
> > knows :)
>
> Im assuming the audience is familiar with an ipod, but not an IDE, or
> programming in general. To their eyes, it looks like a 'play' button;

I would be very careful about introducing new words, or borrowing
words, to replace tried and true technical terms that have existed for
along time. As a matter of fact, the BDFL make the point better than i
ever could:

GvR speaking about ABC's design: """ The ABC group assumed that the
users had no prior computer experience (or were willing to forget it).
Thus, alternative terminology was introduced that was considered more
"newbie-friendly" than standard programming terms. For example:
procedures were called "how-tos" and variables "locations". """