Which libraries for Python 2.5.2

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Wed Dec 28 15:55:34 EST 2011

On 12/28/2011 9:37 AM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM, W. eWatson<wolftracks at invalid.com>  wrote:
>> Well, thing went slightly awry. The link gave me two choices. Download
>> msv...dll fixer, and download fixer. I took the latter. However, just
>> checking on the other one, found that I got the same exe file. I installed
>> it on the XP PC, and pressed what looked like a reasonable place to start.
>> It would download the dll, and register it.
>>
>> Well, it seemed more interested in the registry. It scanned four areas of
>> the registry, and found 123 problems in total. To fix them would require
>> buying something.
>>
>> I noticed a large button near the top that said download dll. It found one
>> the internet, and guess what? More purchase for the download.
>>
>> It seems like dll-fixer has a corner on the market.
>
> Definitely don't download that spamware fixer program -- who knows
> what that does?  You want the grey "Download zip-file" link, not the
> not the flashy "Download fixer" ad links.  Anyway, it sounds like
> you've found another copy of the DLL.
>
> If I were you, I would uninstall that fixer ASAP and then run an
> anti-malware and anti-virus tool or two, just in case.
>
>> Run the sfc /scannow System File Checker command to replace a missing or
>> corrupt copy of the msvcp71.dll file. If this DLL file is provided my
>> Microsoft, the System File Checker tool should restore it.
>
> I don't believe it is provided by Microsoft, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
>
>> A new dilemma. The PC XP in question with Python has the the msvcp71.dll
>> file in System32. The one I took off my other laptop has a slightly newer
>> one. Feb 2003 vs Aug 2003.
>
> Weird.  Try registering the existing dll, try replacing it with the
> other one (be sure to back up the original first), etc.

I haven't installed the newer version yet, Aug 2003. I thought I'd see
what happened if I entered sfc /scannow.  Whatever, happened the black
window flashed by in a split second.

Somehow this doesn't seem helpful
<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx?mfr=true>.
Although, 20 lines down or so it says:
If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it
retrieves the correct version of the file from the
%systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect
file.

I'm going to run this by a XP NG.