IDLE: A cornicopia of mediocrity and obfuscation.

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Tue Feb 1 15:45:54 EST 2011

On 02/01/2011 03:05 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Feb 1, 1:35 pm, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:
>> On 1/31/2011 2:17 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
>>
>>> It certainly would be interesting to see a fresh approach to IDLE...
>>
>> The future of "playing with Python" is probably Python in a browser
>> window, of which there are several implementations.
>
> Hello John,
>
> I found skulpt which looks rather interesting.
>
>   http://www.skulpt.org/
>
> Why do we not have a version of this at python.org so people can get a
> feel for python right away. Ruby has that "Learn Ruby in 20 Minutes"
> thing and so should we.
>
> Do you have any links to projects such as this one that you like to
> share, John?

http://people.csail.mit.edu/pgbovine/python/

Not quite an interpreter, and certainly has its limits, for example, it
will only let you run so many steps before not letting you go on. I
think it's a decent learning tool, but the visualisation is what makes
it shine, IMO. That version uses python 2.5, there is also a version
that uses python 3.1:

http://netserv.ict.ru.ac.za/python3_viz/