How to create an entry in the "Program menu" of Windows?

Alexander Kapps alex.kapps at web.de
Tue Feb 1 18:52:25 EST 2011

On 01.02.2011 22:43, Diesel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add menu entry in the Program Menu as part of the
> installation of an application. Is it possible to do that from Python?
>
> Any examples or link? I have not been able to find anything with
> google...
>
> thanks in advance
> s/

AFAIK, the startmenu entries are just .lnk files, placed either in
the "All Users" or "Some Specific User" Startmenu directory. I only
have a German XP and can't boot it to test at the moment, so I can't
give more details, but there are surely registry entries to find the
Startmenu location for the current user or for "All Users".

See http://codesnippets.joyent.com/posts/show/529 for an example how
to place .lnk files. However, for real deployment, you probably want
to use a real installer framework like NSIS for example.

HTH