IDLE: A cornicopia of mediocrity and obfuscation.

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu Feb 3 08:10:10 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:29 AM, flebber <flebber.crue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 11:38 pm, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 1, 4:20 am, flebber <flebber.c... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Sorry Rick too boring....trying to get bored people to bite at your
>> > ultra lame post yawn...........
>>
>> Well reality and truth both has a tendency to be boring. Why? Well
>> because we bathe in them daily. We have come accustomed, acclimated,
>> and sadly complacent of the ill state of our stdlib. Yes, boring.
>> However we must be aware of these things.
>
> Yes but fixing idle just gives us another editor, there isn't a
> shortage of editors. There is a shortage of a common community code
> base for an ide framework, logical, reusable and extensible.
>
> For an example of a brilliant beginners "ide" racket has it covered
> with DrRacket http://racket-lang.org/ , it has selectable language
> levels beginner, intermediate, advanced that allows the learner to
> adjust the level of language features available as they learn,
> teachpacks are installable to add extra features or options when
> completing the tutorials(could easily be adapted to the python
> tutorials). If idle is for teaching people to learn python shouldn't
> it have the facility to do that?

Python is a general purpose language that's designed to be easy to
use. Racket is a language that was designed for teaching programming.
It's almost exclusively tied to a single IDE. Something like language
levels would be impossible to do in Python unless you re-do the
parser. There's no feature that allows you to strip for loops or list
comprehensions out of the language. And we already have something
better than teachpacks- the import mechanism and the ability to
install 3rd party extensions.