Perl Hacker, Python Initiate

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Thu Feb 3 11:26:05 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-02, Gary Chambers wrote:
> All,
>
> Given the following Perl script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl

I'm a Perl user, but I generally refuse to read Perl code which
doesn't utilize 'use warnings/-w' and 'use strict'.  There are just too
many crazy bugs and 1980s constructs which go unnoticed without them.

> %dig = (
>      solaris => "/usr/sbin/dig",
>      linux   => "/usr/bin/dig",
>      darwin  => "/usr/bin/dig"
> );

Not related to your question, except that you'll have to deal with
this in Python too:

I really suggest letting the user's $PATH decide which dig to call.
/usr/bin is always in the path.  /usr/sbin may not be, but if that's a
problem for your users, just let your script start by appending it to
the pre-existing $PATH.  You don't even have to do OS detection on
that one -- it's safe to do everywhere.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .