Use the Source Luke

OKB (not okblacke) brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net
Fri Feb 4 14:11:58 EST 2011

rusi wrote:

> On Feb 2, 12:32 am, "OKB (not okblacke)"
>>         I think, in general, the less anyone needs to know C even
>> exists, the better for Python; likewise, the more that people have
>> to mention the existence of C in a Python context, the worse for
>> Python.  This may be a somewhat extreme viewpoint, but that's my
>> position.
>
> In 1990 I wrote a paper elaborating this.
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=126471 It is dated (before
> python, java, haskell and the internet as we know it today)
> It is also dated in the sense that I dont totally agree with the
> strong views therein (I was half my age then :-)

    	Very interesting, thanks.  I think Python has its own warts
comparable to some of those you mention, but not all.  What bothers me
most is when "practicality beats purity" is invoked, with practicality
defined as "doing it this way is faster in C".

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell