Fully functioning email client in Python

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Feb 7 15:32:24 EST 2011

On 2/5/2011 5:34 PM, iaoua iaoua wrote:

> What I really need is a ready made fully functional Python client that
> already has it that offers me a simple interface to extract text from
> received messages along with a message id that I can use to associate
> the response to a question with and allows me to send out new
> questions or answers along with a message id I can use to track future
> Can support POP3, IMAP, SSL authentication, message threading etc.

    It sounds like you need an SMTP receiving server and an SMTP sender,
not a user-type client.  See

	http://docs.python.org/library/smtpd.html

for a simple server that will handle incoming messages, and

     http://docs.python.org/library/smtplib.html

for an SMTP sender that can reply to them.  Those are standard
Python functions.

     You can run this on most server-type machines.  It's best
if you have an upstream server configured to do spam filtering
and forwarding to your server, or you'll get vast amounts of
junk coming into your system.

     Have the upstream machine forward to a nonstandard mail
port (like "example.com:2525") if the server machine already
has a mail server. This will allow the existing mail server to
run.

				John Nagle