Idea for removing the GIL...

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:38:20 EST 2011

On 2/8/11 10:11 AM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 06:34, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com
> <mailto:vsapre80 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Also, multiprocessing has issues on Windows (most probably because of
>     the way CreateProcess() functions...)
>
> Such as?

Unlike a UNIX fork, CreateProcess() does not have the same copy-on-write
semantics for initializing the memory of the new process. If you want to pass
data to the children, the data must be pickled and sent across the process
boundary. He's not saying that multiprocessing isn't useful at all on Windows,
just less useful for the scenarios he is considering here.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco