Class or Dictionary?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 11 19:13:49 EST 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:15:27 -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> I'd use a class rather than a dictionary - because with a class, pylint
> (and perhaps PyChecker and pyflakes?) should be able to detect typos
> upfront.

*Some* typos. Certainly not all.

The more complex the code -- and with 100 or so parameters, this sounds
pretty damn complex -- there is a non-negligible risk of mistakenly using
the wrong name. Unless pylint now has a "do what I mean, not what I say"
mode, it can't save you from typos like this:

params.employerID = 23
params.employeeID = 42
# much later
if params.employeeID == 23:
    # Oops, I meant employ*er*ID

> With a dictionary, typos remain runtime timebombs.

Are your unit tests broken? You should fix that and not rely on just
pylint to detect bugs. Unit tests will help protect you against many more
bugs than just typos.

Besides, and I quote...

"I find it amusing when novice programmers believe their main job is
preventing programs from crashing. ... More experienced programmers
realize that correct code is great, code that crashes could use
improvement, but incorrect code that doesn't crash is a horrible
nightmare." -- Chris Smith

--
Steven