EPD 7.0 released

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Mon Feb 14 06:59:30 EST 2011

On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern <robert.k... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
> employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
> numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
> more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
> subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
NumPy as well.

Enthought EPD also helps NumPy/SciPy indirectly, by making Python a
viable alternative to Matlab:

* Just having one big installer instead of 100 is why I'm allowed to
use Python instead of Matlab. Others might have to use my programs, so
the runtime cannot take a man year to install.

* A myriad of installers is a big deterrent for any scientist
considering to use Python.

* Intel MKL instead of reference LAPACK (actually lapack_lite) make
EPD very fast for matrix computations.

* It has a 64-bit version (as opposed to only 32-bit in the "official"
SciPy installer; that might have changed now.)

* We don't have to know which libraries are important and/or spend
time search for them.

* It comes with C, C++ and Fortran compilers (GCC) preconfigured to
work with distutils, link correctly, etc.

Sturla