How can I define __getattr__ to operate on all items of container and pass arguments?

Jeremy jlconlin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 15:29:36 EST 2011

I have a container object.  It is quite frequent that I want to call a function on each item in the container.  I would like to do this whenever I call a function on the container that doesn't exist, i.e., the container would return an attribute error.

For example

class Cont(object):
    def __init__(self):
        self.items = []

    def contMethod(self, args):
        print("I'm in contMethod.")

    def __getattr__(self, name):
        for I in self.items:
            # How can I pass arguments to I.__dict__[name]?
            I.__dict__[name]

>>> C = Cont()
>>> # Add some items to C
>>>C.contMethod()
I'm in contMethod.
>>>C.itemMethod('abc')

The trouble I'm getting into is that I can't pass arguments to the attributes in the contained item.  In the example above, I can't pass 'abc' to the 'itemMethod' method of each item in the container.

Does someone know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks,
Jeremy