Connecting to remote Oracle db via Python

pstatham pstatham at sefas.com
Thu Feb 17 05:40:22 EST 2011

Hi Guys,

I've installed the cx_Oracle module for Python and I'm trying to
connect to my remote Oracle db. Like so (username, password and ip
below aren't real don't worry)

>>> uid = "scott"
>>> pwd = "tiger"
>>> service = "10.5.1.12:1521:PR10"
>>> db = cx_Oracle.connect(uid + "/" + pwd + "@" + service)

This however gives me the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
cx_Oracle.DatabaseError: ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host
or object
 does not exist

I've also tried the following (jdbc string which works fine for java)

>>> service = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.5.1.12:1521:PR10"
>>> db = cx_Oracle.connect(uid + "/" + pwd + "@" + service)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
cx_Oracle.DatabaseError: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect
identifier
 specified

I'm not sure what's going on because I know that the ip, port and
service name. are correct? And as I said I can connect to it via JDBC
in Java.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul