Python subprocesses experience mysterious delay in receiving stdin EOF

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 01:15:01 EST 2011

After way too much time, I figured it out, after a quote from [this
post](http://fixunix.com/questions/379652-sending-eof-named-pipe.html)
jumped out at me:

> See the "I/O on Pipes and FIFOs" section of pipe(7) ("man 7 pipe")
>
> "If all file descriptors referring to the write end of a pipe have
> been closed, then an attempt to read(2) from the pipe will see
> end-of-file (read(2) will return 0)."

I should've known this, but it never occurred to me - had nothing to
do with Python in particular. What was happening was: the subprocesses
were getting forked with open (writer) file descriptors to each
others' pipes. As long as there are open writer file descriptors to a
pipe, readers won't see EOF.

E.g.:

    p1=Popen(..., stdin=PIPE, ...) # creates a pipe the parent process
can write to
    p2=Popen(...) # inherits the writer FD - as long as p2 exists, p1
won't see EOF

Turns out there's a `close_fds` parameter to `Popen`, so the solution
is to pass `close_fds=True`. All simple and obvious in hindsight, but
still managed to cost at least a couple eyeballs good chunks of time.

--
Yang Zhang
http://yz.mit.edu/