Python fails on math

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Tue Feb 22 09:24:41 EST 2011

christian schulze wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I just found out, how much Python fails on simple math. I checked a
> simple equation for a friend.
>
> [code]

e has no accurate representation in computer science.  Neither does it
with the classic decimal representation. Same for pi, if you remember
your math classes ;).

Quoting wikipedia, e known digits:
Date               Decimal digits            Computation performed by
2010 July 5    1,000,000,000,000    Shigeru Kondo & Alexander J. Ye

Anyway, no one solves equation by numerical application. If you want to
illustrate that ab - ac = a(b-c), do it with integers, as their
representation in computer science is accurate within a given range.

JM