How to compile on OS X PPC? was: Re: [RELEASED] Python 3.2

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 22 16:08:45 EST 2011

On 22-02-11 21:27, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:

> There really isn't a "Macports build". Macports just downloads the
> source tarball and compiles it locally. It's only doing three things
> compared to compiling it yourself: update checking, dependency
> tracking, and applying some patches for problems that haven't been
> addressed upstream yet.

Ah, I'm sorry for my complete misunderstanding of what macports is then
:-)   I was under the impression that it was something like Cygwin for
Windows; a collection of tools and libraries ported to Mac OS and being
a distinct 'environment'.

> One of the patches they have for Python 3.2
> fixes something in the Makefile and it appears to have something to do
> with the stuff being passed to libtool. Not sure if it's addresses
> your problem or not, but it couldn't hurt to try it.
> .
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/lang/python32/files/patch-Makefile.pre.in.diff

Thanks for the pointer Benjamin. Unfortunately, applying this patch
didn't make it fly.  Gonna have to look further :)

Regards.
Irmen de Jong.