Python programming books

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Wed Feb 23 00:49:51 EST 2011

David Keeler <dkeeler2042 at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I am relatively new to python. I've been reading online docs and
> tutorials for 4-5 weeks now, but I like actual books. I am not new to
> programming and I have worked with quite a few languages. I'd like a
> good reference with basic stuff including classes and maybe some web
> programming, sockets, tkinter, good explanation of classes and all that
> OO stuff. I want to work with version 3 since 3.2 was just released. Can
> anyone suggest a recent book that might fit the bill?

A book that I can't recommend enough is:

   Programming in Python 3. Make sure that you buy the 2nd edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Python-Complete-Introduction-Language/dp/0321680561/

I also own "Dive into Python 3". Haven't read it yet, but I liked "Dive
into Python" a lot, and I am sure that DiP3 is even better. I notice
that Amazon has a "CreateSpace" edition (you can download DiP3 from the
author's website). I own the APress edition.

As for the reviews: Someone gave the 2nd edition of PiP3 3 stars because
(s)he is upset that the 2nd edition came out shortly after the 1st
edition. In general: some reviewers give bad reviews because of Amazon
shipping late, shipping a damaged book, or just because they didn't do
enough research and got the wrong book.

I also like the "Python Essential Reference" a lot.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/