File-backed file system manipulation question

Chris Willmore chris.willmore at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 09:37:36 CET 2011

Hi All,

I have seen questions regarding mounting and dealing with root owned data, but
nothing that appears to solve my particular issue.

I am creating an application that needs to mount VM images and do some
manipulation (swap kernel, change fstab, etc). Most of the files and directories
in the mounted image are owned by root, but of course I don't want to run the
application as sudo. Is there anyway to get around using root at all (I can give
any user access to a specified mnt point in fstab)? This is probably more of a
Unix, systems question, but I'm interested to know if others have dealt with
this in the Python domain.

Regards,
Chris