Problems with read_eager and Telnet

Robi roberto.inzerillo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 10:54:56 EST 2011

Hi everybody,
 I'm totally new to Python but well motivated :-)

I'm fooling around with Python in order to interface with FlightGear
using a telnet connection.

I can do what I had in mind (send some commands and read output from
Flightgear using the telnetlib) with a read_until() object to catch
every output line I need, but it proved to be very slow (it takes 1/10
of a sec for every read_until().

I tried using the read_eager() object and it's waaaayyyy faster (it
does the job in 1/100 of a sec, maybe more, I didn't tested) but it
gives me problems, it gets back strange strings, repeated ones,
partially broken ones, well ... I don't know what's going on with it.

You see, I don't know telnet (the protocol) very good, I'm very new to
Python and Python's docs are not very specific about that read_eager(9
stuff.

Could someone point me to some more documentation about that? or at
least help me in getting a correct idea of what's going on with
read_eager()?

I'm going on investigating but a help from here would be very
appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance,
   Roberto