simplest way to create simple standalone wsgi server without import wsgi_lib.server

Jean-Paul Calderone calderone.jeanpaul at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:36:45 EST 2011

On Feb 1, 2:01 pm, Gelonida <gelon... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2011 03:07 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>

> > On Jan 31, 5:28 pm, Gelonida <gelon... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> Normally I use following code snippet to quickly test a wsgi module
> >> without a web server.
>
> >> import wsgi_lib.server
> >> wsgi_lib.server.run(application, port=port)
>
> >> However Now I'd like to test a small wsgi module on a rather old host
> >> ( Python 2.4.3 ) where I don't have means to update python.
>
> >> Is there any quick and easy code snippet / module, performing the same
> >> task as my above mentioned lines?
>
> >> Thanks in advance for any hints
>
> > You didn't mention why you can't update Python, or if that means you
> > can't install new libraries either.  However, if you have Twisted 8.2
> > or newer, you can replace your snippet with this shell command:
>
> >     twistd -n web --port <port> --wsgi <application>
>
> Thanks Jean-Paul
>
> The problem is rather simple. The host in question is not 100% under my
> control. I can request to have packages installed if they're in the list
> of available packages.
>
> python 2.4 is part of it. twisted is not
>
> In the worst case I could request the installation of python virtualenv,
> the entire gcc tool chain and try to compile twisted,
> or wsgilib, but I wondered whether there isn't a simple pure python way
> of starting a wsgi server for test purposes.

You may be able to install Twisted (or even wsgilib) in your home
directory.  For example, the command:

    python setup.py --prefix ~/.local

will install Twisted (or maybe wsgilib) in ~/.local/lib/python2.4/site-
packages/.  Add that to your PYTHONPATH (eg in your .bashrc) and
you're basically all set.  Also, though Twisted has some extension
modules, they're optional.  So you should be fine without a compiler,
*except* that distutils doesn't cope so well with certain cases.  If
you find "setup.py install" fails for some reason, you can also just
add the unpacked source directory to PYTHONPATH and run it in-place
without installation.

Jean-Paul