How to create an entry in the "Program menu" of Windows?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Feb 2 04:43:11 EST 2011

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:43:26 +0000, Diesel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add menu entry in the Program Menu as part of the
> installation of an application. Is it possible to do that from Python?

Of course. Python is Turing complete, if any language can do it, Python
can too (although not necessarily as fast or easily).

What operating system and desktop environment are you using? For example,
under KDE 3.x, you would choose which Program menu you want to use
(Utilities, Office, Internet, Multimedia, etc.), decide whether you want
this to apply to all users or just a single user, and then create the
appropriate .desktop files. In my not-so humble opinion, it's a mess, but
for what it's worth there's a description of it here:

http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/howtos/kde-menus.htm

--
Steven