inheritance, multiple inheritance and the weaklist and instance dictionaries

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:42:59 EST 2011

On Feb 9, 10:54 am, Rouslan Korneychuk <rousl... at msn.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a program that automatically generates C++ code for a
> Python extension and I noticed a few limitations when using the weaklist
> and instance dictionaries (tp_weaklistoffset and tp_dictoffset). This is
> pertaining to the C API.
>
> I noticed that when using multiple inheritance, I need a common base
> class or I get an "instance lay-out conflict" error (my program already
> deals with the issue of having a varying layout), but the error also
> happens when the derived classes have these extra dictionaries and the
> common base doesn't. This doesn't seem like it should be a problem if
> the offsets for these variables are explicitly specified in the derived
> types.

No, it is a problem.  It violates Liskov substitution principle.

Let me see if I understand your situation.  You have one base type
with tp_dictoffset or tp_weakrefoffset set but no extra fields in the
object structure, and another base type without tp_dictoffset or
tp_weakrefoffset, but with extra fields, and you're trying to multiply-
inherit from both?  This is the only case I can think of where the
layout conflict would be caused by a type setting tp_dictoffset.

Even though this is a clear layout conflict, you think that if you set
tp_dictoffset and tp_weakrefoffset appropiately in the derived type,
it's ok if the dict and weakreflist appear in different locations in
the subtype, right?

Not in general.  A bunch of stuff can go wrong.  If any methods in the
base type reference the object dict directly (rather than indirectly
via tp_dictoffset), then the derived type will be broken when one of
the base-type methods is called.  (This alone is enough to rule out
allowing it in general.)  Even if you are careful to always use
tp_dictoffset; a user might write a subtype in C that directly
accesses it, not even stopping to consider that it might be used in
MI.  It's not even certain that a derived type won't use the base
type's tp_dictoffset.

The algorithm to detect layout conflicts would require a terrible
increase in complexity: there's some of layouts that would "work" if
you could ignore tp_dictoffset, and some that won't, and now you have
a big mess trying to distinguish.

Bottom line is, tp_dictoffset and tp_weakrefoffset should be treated
as if they defined regular slots that affect layout, and it should be
assumed that (like for all other slots) the offset does not change for
subtypes.  There's a few important situations where tp_dictoffset is a
tiny bit more flexible than a regular slot, but that's rare.

> I want this program to be as flexible as possible, so could
> someone tell me what exactly are the rules when it comes to these
> dictionaries and inheritance. Also, I don't like the idea of having up
> to four different classes (one for every combination of those two
> variables) that do nothing except tell CPython that I know what I'm doing.

I don't think there's any reasonable way to subvert Python's behavior
on layout.

If your base types are abstract, you might consider not setting
tp_dictoffset and tp_weakrefoffset in the base (even if it has methods
that reference the dict)--just be sure to set it in the first class
that's concrete.

> Also is it possible to have a class that doesn't have these dictionaries
> derive from a class that does?

Nope.  That would *really* violate Liskov substitution principle.

Carl Banks