lint warnings

Gerald Britton gerald.britton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 10:19:20 EST 2011

>> I find:
>>
>>     map(func, iterable)
>>
>> to be "neater" than:
>>
>>     [func(item) for item in iterable]
>>
>> If nothing else, the "map" version is shorter.

>That's only true if you wanted to call an existing function. If you wanted
>to do something involving a more complex expression that you can write
>inline then the list comprehension is shorter.

not necessarily, no.

>>> [-i if i < 0 else i for i in range(-10,0)]
[10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1]

vs.

>>> map(abs, range(-10,0))
[10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1]

<snip>
> Also, as already shown, the map version is faster.

>In most cases the list comprehension is faster. Try timing it.

I have as have many others (including the previous poster who provided timings)

>C:\Python27>python.exe lib\timeit.py -s "def double(x): return x*2" -s "data=range(10000)" "map(double, data)"
>1000 loops, best of 3: 1.82 msec per loop

C:\Python27>python.exe lib\timeit.py -s "def double(x): return x*2" -s
"data=range(10000)" "[x*2 for x in data]"
1000 loops, best of 3: 879 usec per loop

granted, but not on topic here.  we're talking about map vs list comps
when you want to use a function.

>map is only likely to be faster if you wanted to call a function in both cases.

Which is exactly the point.

>f you have an expression that can be inlined you save the function call
>overhead with the list comprehension.

Of course, but that's not the point.

--
Gerald Britton