client server socket interaction (inetd)

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Fri Feb 18 17:28:02 EST 2011

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:23:35 -0800, Tim wrote:

> When LaTeX encounters a problem it stops processing, asks the user
> what to do (like abort/retry, kind-of), and does whatever the user
> says. The daemon.py script handles that okay from the command line,
> but if I'm understanding you this will be much harder if not
> impossible to accomplish from a client communicating over a socket.

The difficulty of achieving this is unrelated to the use of a socket. It's
an issue of whether you have a user available to respond to any prompts,
or whether the client has to be able to do this itself.

If you want to "script" an interactive program, you need to be able to
recognise prompts and respond appropriately. If the program was designed
to interact with a human, this can be far from straightforward. But the
method of communication (pipes versus sockets) isn't relevant.