Python on OSX

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 22:40:33 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Robert <sigzero at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can I install 2.7 and 3.2 side by side?
>
> Yes, of course. Just don't fiddle with the "System Python" (i.e. the
> copy preinstalled by Apple).

Good advice.  I second it.

> You may wish to install your additional Pythons via Fink or MacPorts.

I have python24, 25, 26, 27, and 32 installed with MacPorts, and
"python_select" (also from MacPorts) allows you to change the default python
version quickly and cleanly with a single command.  It's quite useful for
testing compatibility of scripts that use "#!/usr/bin/env python" as the
shebang line.  I haven't tried Fink, but the MacPorts approach works well
for me.

Good luck!
Jason

> Cheers,