Nagios

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 18:55:42 EST 2011

On Jan 1, 6:21 pm, Robert <sigz... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really? How many templating systems does Python have? More than one?
> Why is that? How many web frameworks does Perl have? More than one? Why
> is that?
>
> Why *was* Nagios forked and re-written in Python?
>
> There are too many examples to count.

You're missing the point: you've yet to provide any sort of argument
whatsoever.  It's not automatically true that rewriting Nagios in Tcl
would gain the Tcl community more exposure, nor is it automatically
true that more exposure is a good or desirable thing.

You first have to show how rewriting Nagios in Tcl would gain them
more exposure.  Then you have to show that the exposure would be a
good thing.  Until you've done both, you're arguing with very
fundamental and conventional engineering wisdom; and you have not
actually presented an argument just tautologies.

Neither will be easy to prove, by and by large, most people don't give
a shit what language their applications are written in and rightly so.

> Just gave you a bunch.

No, you've given me examples of wheel reinvention.  Just because the
people reinventing the wheel thought it was a good thing doesn't
actually make it so.  You personally have to present the case as to
why it is a good thing.

> I want to apologize for my part. We just aren't going to see the same
> side of this.

You can apologize, but I don't accept it.  You want to actually
apologize?  Admit you were wrong and retract, or act like an adult and
present an actual argument instead of wasting time.

Adam