CPython on the Web

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 08:52:45 EST 2011

From: "Katie T" <katie at coderstack.co.uk>
Subject: Re: CPython on the Web

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM, azakai <alonmozilla at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The idea is that by compiling CPython itself, all the features of the
>> language are immediately present, and at the latest version, unlike
>> writing a new implementation which takes time and tends to lag behind.
>> As to why run it on the web, there could be various uses, for example
>> it could allow a simple learning environment for Python, which since
>> it's on the web can be entered immediately without any download (and
>> would run even in places where Python normally can't, like say an
>> iPad).
>
> It looks pretty neat ! - most solutions I've seen involve running
> Python in a sandbox environment on the server as opposed to on the
> client desktop.
>
> Katie
> --

I don't understand what can be this program used for. Can anyone explain please?

Ok, I understand that it can be used for learning, which is pretty useless because I doubt that a Python newbie will start using Python and learning Python that way.

Then, how can the Python programs run on the "desktop"?
I suspect that the Python code is somehow translated to Javascript in order to run on the browser. Am I right?

If yes, then how can run a Python code that access a database or one that create a web server, or a WxPython GUI run?

If it can run just simple things that prints things in the browser, then why not writing that code directly in JS?

As you can see, there are many things I don't understand. :-)

Thank you.

BTW. I have tried that page, and it appeared a JS error window telling that the JS scripts run too slow and it asked me if I want to continue.
I have executed the default Python script, but nothing happend. Nothing was printed. I use Internet Explorer.

Octavian